For those outside of the “Hollywood bubble,” the life of actors, singers, producers and other entertainers can appear to be carefree and almost magical. Life for entertainers seems like a never-ending fairy tale of red carpet events, expensive dinners with other celebrities and powerful individuals, and expansive mansions filled with the finest furnishings. While some entertainers in California do enjoy a lavish lifestyle, nearly every entertainer, whether seasoned or new to the scene, faces legal hurdles that can jeopardize not only lifestyle but his or her very livelihood. I have represented entertainers from various backgrounds and assisted them in the beginning of their careers by setting up their independent businesses, reviewing, negotiating and drafting contracts, to the peak of their careers by resolving the legal disputes they encounter. My firm will provide you with competent and experienced legal advice and representation so that you can focus on advancing your career and honing your craft.
Services of an Entertainment Law Attorney
Entertainment law attorneys in California help those in the entertainment industry (artists, producers, directors and others) confront and surmount the legal challenges that threaten to derail their careers or that endanger their sources of income. An entertainment lawyer must be flexible and have a broad base of knowledge, as no two entertainers are in the exact same situation. Because of my experience and knowledge, I can assist entertainers with a wide variety of concerns, such as:
- Contract review and negotiation and breach of contract disputes: Contracts in the entertainment industry are most often written instruments that describe the promises two or more parties agree to perform. This does not mean that each party to a contract is looking out for the wellbeing of the other party or parties. This is why each party to a contract should be represented by knowledgeable counsel that can help them understand what obligations they will be agreeing to undertake and the benefits they can expect to receive. A lawyer can also help the entertainer negotiate a contract that is more beneficial and helps protect their rights. Furthermore, an entertainment law attorney can assist entertainers in obtaining compensation when the other party to a contract breaks its contractual agreements. Finally, an entertainment law attorney may be able to help an entertainer renegotiate a contract that is detrimental to the entertainer while minimizing any potential negative effects.
- Royalties: Like any other independent contractor or employee, an entertainer is entitled to fair compensation when their work or image is used for entertainment purposes, or to help market other products and services. Refusing to pay entertainers what they are entitled to is not only unprofessional, but it deprives the entertainer of their livelihood. Swift and affirmative legal representation is needed to help entertainers obtain the royalty payments they deserve.
- Intellectual property: Screenplays, novels, lyrics to a song or any other personal creation needs to be protected against unlawful use, duplication and distribution. An entertainment law attorney can help ensure your artistic creations are protected so that you alone are able to enjoy the benefits of your hard work.
REQUEST FREE CONSULTATION
Frequently Asked Questions About Entertainment Law
Some of the more common questions people have asked me about entertainment law include:
- Is an entertainment law attorney the same as an agent? No, the two are distinct and separate. An entertainment law attorney looks after the legal rights and interests of her client whereas an agent attempts to find work for the entertainer. Not every entertainer may need an agent, but most individuals in the entertainment industry can benefit from legal counsel.
- What compensation can I get in an entertainment law dispute? This depends on the nature of your dispute and how you were harmed. For instance, if a production company did not pay you according to the terms of a contract you signed with them, you may be entitled to the amount of money the company failed to pay you. If a business is using your likeness or your artistic creation without your permission, you may be entitled to an injunction directing that the business cease its unlawful activities.
- What benefit is there to having my own entertainment law attorney? Some employers, agents or managers may attempt to persuade you to use their company’s in-house counsel or forego legal representation. In-house counsel, however, is concerned first and foremost with the wellbeing of the business, not you. And it is easy to give up important legal rights during contract negotiations, mediation, or litigation if you are not careful. Employing an entertainment law attorney assures you that an experienced legal professional is there to look after you during the course of your career.
The Law Offices of Reena Sehgal offers pricing and payment plans tailored to our client’s specific needs. We offer flat fees for document preparation and are happy to set caps for hourly projects. We understand that pricing is a big concern for any business, inventor or entertainer and are happy to address the issue in detail, prior to making any commitments.
At the Law Offices of Reena Sehgal, we make it our mission to help your business succeed. The best way for us to accomplish this is to create a trusting and collaborative relationship. Therefore, we like to keep lines of communication open and make ourselves available for answering brief questions or responding to emails, texts and calls. We also will happily make time to discuss any concerns in person.
Contact Reena at the Law Offices of Reena Sehgal to learn how she can assist you in protecting your legal rights in the highly competitive entertainment industry. Our firm offers all new clients a free initial consultation to discuss their concerns and learn more about the services that we offer. Call Reena today at 818-582-2421 to schedule your initial consultation.
We are frequently updating and adding new information to this site. Please check back soon for news, articles, and more FAQs.
Helping You Succeed
The Law Offices of Reena Sehgal provides representation and counsel to business owners, inventors, and entertainers. The mission of my firm is simple: Helping you protect your legal rights and your livelihood. I can assist with business challenges, contract negotiations and drafting, and intellectual property protection. Whatever the challenge you're facing, I strive to resolve the issue to your satisfaction in a swift and efficient manner. At the Law Office of Reena Sehgal, I keep my clients informed about the process of their case so that they can be assured their situation is receiving the attention it deserves and so they can focus on other important issues.
Artists, Entertainers, Producers, Directors and More
» Preparing, Reviewing and Negotiating Contracts - Production, Talent, Licensing, and Distribution Agreements
» Motion Picture/TV Production Counsel
» NDA & Confidentiality Agreements
» Intellectual Property Protection - Trademark & Copyright
» Disputes & Litigation
» Affordable Pricing